Official Lineage OS 14.1 is here for Moto G 3rd Gen 2015 code name ‘osprey’. This is not the first Lineage OS build released for Moto G 2015 infact multiple Motorola devices have already got it, we have posted guide for them as well. Now in this detailed tutorial we have packed up everything regarding Lineage OS 14.1 ROM installation on Moto G 3rd Gen 2015. The Lineage OS 14.1 is based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat, the same devices was already given the official CyanogenMod 14.1 as well. Now CyanogenMod is dead so we have to rely on these Lineage OS ROM so If you own a Moto G 2015 and want to install official Lineage OS 14.1 on your device then you are at the right place.
Moto G 3rd gen was released back in 2015, it is the third successor to Moto G 2nd Gen with pretty improved specs. The devices comes with pre-installed Android 5.0.2 Lollipop but later Motorola made it eligible for Android Marshmallow, so after that it was announced that the device was stay on Marshmallow firmware. There is restriction for stock firmware but no hurdle to flash Android 7.1.1 Nougat based Lineage OS 14.1 custom ROM on it.
The process to flash official Lineage OS 14.1 on Moto G 2015 is not a very difficult task infact you need to pay attentions on the instructions below. If you have a custom recovery like TWRP recovery installed on your device already then all you need to do is just flash the ROM zip from recovery along latest Lineage OS gapps and that’s it. For your ease we also mentioned the guide to install TWRP recovery on your device as well. The process to install Lineage OS 14.1 ROM on all devices is almost the same so we use the same process for Moto G 2015 as well.
Process to install official Lineage OS 14.1 ROM on Moto G 2015
Some pre-requisites before you begin:
- Your device battery should be in good health (70%) to avoid the shutting down while in flashing process.
- Bootloader on your device must be unlocked or follow this guide to unlock it.
- A TWRP custom recovery must be installed on your device, if you haven’t, follow this guide to install it.
- Create a Nandroid back up of important data including complete System with all apps and messages, follow this guide to create a Nandroid backup via TWRP recovery.
- Upgrade latest USB drivers for your device on PC. Download latest Motorola USB drivers here [For a stable PC-phone connection].
- Download Lineage OS 14.1 ROM for Moto G 2015 [Pick up the latest build]
- Download Lineage OS 14.1/Android 7.1.x Google Apps
- Now transfer both file on your device storage.
- Turn off your device and reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Once your device boots into recovery mode then follow this guide to flash Lineage OS 14.1 on your Moto G 2015 via TWRP recovery.
Solution to a failed boot issue.
Follow this guide to solve the bootloop issue. [If you think your device stuck at boot animation for quite a long time]
Enable Root Access for Apps.
That’s it! If you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. Give us your feedback about Lineage OS 14.1 ROM on your Moto G 2015 and stay tuned for more updates.