One of the oldest family member from Google’s Nexus family, Nexus 4 code name ‘mako’ gets it’s first official Lineage OS 14.1 nightly update. The official Lineage OS 14.1 for Nexus 4 is released today, based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat the firmware will give this older device a new look. The supported members from Nexus series are already enjoying the latest firmware officially released by Google. So the Team at Lineage OS planned to give a chance to older devices by providing them the new firmware via official Lineage OS 14.1 ROM.
LG Nexus 4 is a pretty older device, it was released back in 2012, the box opened device comes with the pre-installed Android Jellybean later it received latest firmware updates by Google and Android 5.1 Lollipop was the final update released for it. Although it got tons of AOSP ROMs with latest Android version but now official Lineage OS 14.1 is released for it to stay line to line with it’s successors. We have post our previous guide on Nexus 7 2013 you can also see the process is same as well.
The process to flash official Lineage OS 14.1 on Nexus 4 is not very difficult task infact you need to pay attentions on the instructions below. If you have a custom recovery like TWRP recovery installed on your device already then all you need to do is just flash the ROM zip from recovery along latest Lineage OS gapps and that’s it. For your ease we also mentioned the guide to install TWRP recovery on your device as well.
Note: If you are new to process then we recommend you to carefully follow the whole process in sequence.
Process to install official Lineage OS 14.1 ROM on Nexus 4
Some pre-requisites before you begin:
- Your device battery should be in good health (70%) to avoid the shutting down while in flashing process.
- Bootloader on your Nexus device should be unlocked or follow this guide to unlock it
- A TWRP custom recovery must be installed on your device, if you haven’t, follow this guide to install it.
- Create a Nandroid back up of important data including complete System with all apps and messages, follow this guide to create a Nandroid backup via TWRP recovery.
- Upgrade latest USB drivers for your device on PC. Download latest Nexus USB drivers here [For a stable PC-phone connection].
- Download Lineage OS 14.1 ROM for Nexus 4 [Pick up the latest build]
- Download Lineage OS 14.1/Android 7.1.x Google Apps
- Now transfer both file on your device storage.
- Turn off your device and reboot into TWRP recovery.
- Once your device boots into recovery mode then follow this guide to flash Lineage OS 14.1 on your Nexus 4 via TWRP recovery.
Solution to a failed boot issue.
Follow this guide to solve the bootloop issue. [If you think your device stuck at boot animation for quite a long time]
That’s it! If you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. Give us your feedback about Lineage OS 14.1 ROM on your Nexus 4 and stay tuned for more updates.